Accidents At Work

Workplace Injuries

The workplace should be a safe environment for all employees. However, very often accidents and injuries at work occur due to falls, slips, incorrect manual handling and improper work equipment or tools. For example, a worker in a factory may suffer strain injuries, dermatitis, or back pain due to poor working practices. Employers have a duty to provide proper training, protective equipment and a safe place to work and all employees are entitled to work in a safe place.

Employer Duty

If you have been involved in an accident at your workplace which was caused due to defective or faulty work equipment such as tools, ladders, safety equipment etc you should be aware that your employer has a strict duty to protect you and to ensure that equipment used by you is in good working order, regularly inspected and maintained and used properly in accordance with training. Work equipment has a very wide definition and can include an office chair or any office equipment supplied by your employer. If you have suffered an injury as a result of faulty equipment or a defective item supplied by your employer, you are entitled to make a claim for personal injury and other associated losses or out of pocket expenses.

Gus Campbell: Specialist Employers Liability Solicitors

You should contact a specialist employers liability solicitor who deals with accidents at work. Gus Campbell Solicitors have dealt with many accident at work claims over many years in business and our solicitors are experienced, knowledgeable and approachable. Gus Campbell Solicitors advise clients throughout Portadown, Craigavon, Co Armagh and Northern Ireland and will help you to make a claim for an accident and ensure that you get the right advice and maximum compensation.

Our expert personal injury solicitors based in Portadown, Co Armagh will provide clear legal advice about your case and will assist you throughout the personal injury claims process to ensure that you get the compensation for an accident to which you are entitled. You should expect to receive compensation when you are injured in an accident at work which was not your fault, for the injury you suffered and also for loss of earnings and any other expenses such as medical treatment which has left you out of pocket.

3 Years To Make A Claim For Compensation

If you have been involved in an accident at work in the last 3 years you could still make a claim for compensation. If you have recently had a work accident, you should ensure that your accident details are recorded in an Accident Book which your employer has a duty to maintain. You should make sure that any statement you provide about the accident at work is a fair and accurate account of what happened and you should not sign any document unless you have seen it and agreed with it. You should record details of any witnesses to your accident and if possible, take photographs of the accident scene or any equipment which caused or contributed to the accident. Call us at Gus Campbell Solicitors to ensure that you get the right legal advice.

Often where there has been a workplace accident, the Health and Safety Executive Northern Ireland will investigate. There are certain circumstances in which your employer must report the accident to the Health and Safety Executive. This will need to be done if there has been a work related death, a major injury or an injury which lasts more than 3 days, work related diseases (eg asbestosis, hand arm vibration syndrome, dermatitis), or a dangerous occurrence (for example collapse of scaffolding or electrical overload).

Employer Liability Insurance

Your employer must have appropriate liability insurance in place and it will be the insurance company, not your employer, who will pay for the cost of your case. You do not have to be a member of a Trade Union to make a claim for an accident. If you fear that your employer will try to make life difficult for you should you make a claim for compensation, there are employment laws which are there to protect your rights. Gus Campbell Solicitors Co Armagh have experienced employment law solicitors who can provide legal advice about your employment rights.

Accidents at work can happen as a result of a one-off incident or also due to exposure to unsafe materials or poor work practices over a period of time. For example, incorrect lifting contrary to manual handling guidelines, use of vibrating tools or power equipment over a period of time; or exposure to chemical or other irritants which could cause skin problems, asthma or lung problems. You may have been the victim of bullying in the workplace which your employer failed to address, or other harassment which has caused you stress or anxiety.

Gus Campbell Free First Consultation

Whatever the cause of your accident at work, if you think you might be entitled to compensation, contact our experienced personal injury solicitors at Gus Campbell for clear advice and a no obligation, free first consultation. Due to the current Coronavirus pandemic we can offer telephone consultations or use other technology eg Skype or Zoom to facilitate you safely.
If you are worried about the legal costs to you for a work accident or injury, we can arrange legal expenses insurance to cover your costs.

Or you may be entitled to legal aid. If you have a successful claim for an accident at work, the insurance company will have to agree to pay your legal costs and you will keep all of your compensation settlement. Gus Campbell solicitors are based in Portadown but assist clients throughout the Co Armagh area and the whole of Northern Ireland and are happy to talk through your options. Please do not hesitate to contact our personal injury department by phone or e-mail

Historical Institutional Abuse Compensation Scheme

The Historical Institutional Abuse (HIA) Redress scheme is now open for applications as of 31st March 2020.
The Redress Board has been set up to receive and process applications for compensation from anyone who suffered abuse in a residential institution in Northern Ireland between 1922 and 1995.

You should instruct a solicitor to act on your behalf and the Redress Board will pay all of your legal costs and expenses.
You are eligible for compensation if you suffered abuse whilst you were a child resident in an Institution in Northern Ireland between 1922 and 1995 or if you were sent to Australia under the Child Migrant Programme.


You can apply for compensation on behalf of someone who has died on or after 28th April 1953 if you are/were the Deceased’s:

  • Surviving spouse
  • Civil partner
  • Cohabiting partner
  • Surviving child

There are 3 amounts of compensation which may be awarded:

  • Standard amount of £10000
  • Enhanced award of between £10,001 and £80,000
  • Award of £20000 if you are applying due to the Child Migrant to Australia Programme

The Northern Ireland Executive set up an Inquiry and investigation into historical institutional abuse in Northern Ireland. The Inquiry covered abuse of children under the age of 18 years who lived in institutions such as children’s homes, borstals, training schools, juvenile justice centres, hospitals, orphanages and other institutions run by religious orders between 1922 and 1995 in Northern Ireland.

The Inquiry produced a final report and made a number of recommendations. One of the recommendations was that victims and survivors should receive compensation payments to be administered by the Historical Institutional Abuse (HIA) Redress Board. The recommendations of the final report can be found in full by reading the full report of the Historical Institutional Abuse Inquiry.

Redress Scheme

The long awaited redress scheme is now open for those who have suffered to apply to receive redress. The application process will be open for a period of five years.

The Historical Institutional Abuse (Northern Ireland) Act 2019 provides the legal framework for the establishment of the Historical Institutional Abuse Redress Board.

The scope of the Redress scheme is fairly wide ranging and will provide compensation for those who suffered neglect, maltreatment, emotional abuse, physical abuse or sexual abuse whilst attending an institution. Therefore you should ensure that you contact Gus Campbell Solicitors for advice about the redress scheme.

Gus Campbell Application Help

The application can be submitted online, and Gus Campbell Solicitors will be able to make the application on your behalf. We are able to take instructions by telephone or e-mail given the current circumstances and we can then give you clear advice about the application process.

If you provided advice to the HIA Inquiry, you are not required to provide further evidence. Otherwise, you will need to provide further details to the Redress Board and Gus Campbell Solicitors can advise you about the process. There is a determination process and an Appeals process and your solicitor will be able to advise you fully about this.

We would urge anyone who wishes to apply for compensation to contact us as soon as possible by telephone or e-mail.

Road Traffic Accident

Many people are unsure what to do in the event of a road traffic accident. It is important to try to stay calm and remain at the scene. It is best not to move your vehicle unless it is causing an obstruction to other vehicles or pedestrians. If any party has suffered serious injury or requires assistance to exit the vehicle, then you should call 999 for emergency assistance. You may wish to report the accident to the PSNI and request that they attend the scene.

It is very important to exchange details with other driver(s). You are required by law to provide your details, and the other driver must give you their details – name, address, vehicle and insurance details etc. Ensure that you correctly record the other vehicle’s registration number. Even if this is the only information you have, at Gus Campbell Solicitors we can conduct a search of the vehicle registration number to identify the insurer of the other vehicle.

If there are witnesses, obtain their details. You should also try to take pictures of the scene of the accident – the position of vehicles and any marks or debris on the road. This could be important evidence if the other party denies that they were at fault.

Report The Accident

You should report the accident to your own insurance company as soon as possible, even if the accident was not your fault.

If the other party was to blame, you are entitled to make a claim from their insurers. Gus Campbell Solicitors can deal with any claim for injury or vehicle damage on your behalf.

If you, or any passenger in your vehicle has suffered personal injury, Gus Campbell Solicitors Portadown can deal with the injury claim to ensure that you get the amount compensation you are entitled to. You should go to your doctor or to hospital as soon as possible after an accident in which you have sustained personal injuries.

If you have been unable to work as a result of your injuries, you are entitled to make a claim for loss of earnings. If you have had to pay for medical treatment, you can pursue a claim for your medical expenses.

You are entitled to claim for the cost of repairs to your vehicle, or if the vehicle is beyond repair, the value of your vehicle which should be assessed by an independent motor assessor.

If your car has lost value due to accident damage, you are entitled to make a claim for this.

You may be entitled to claim for the cost of hiring a replacement vehicle while your damaged car is off the road, or compensation for having to do without a vehicle. If you have had property in the vehicle or child car seats, you are entitled to claim for the loss or damage of these.

Gus Campbell Solicitors Advise

Gus Campbell Solicitors Portadown can advise you about all aspects of your claim for personal injury and vehicle damage arising from a traffic accident claim.

You have up to 3 years from the date of an accident to make a claim for personal injury. In the case of a child, 3 years from the child’s 18th birthday. So even if you have had an accident and sustained injury or loss and did not claim at the time, it may not be too late. You should speak to Gus Campbell Solicitors Portadown. We offer a free initial consultation and we have expert solicitors to offer you advice.

If the accident was not your fault, then you should receive compensation together with payment of your legal costs.

If the accident was not your fault, then the insurance company for the party at fault will have to pay compensation to you, together with your legal costs. This means that you will be entitled to keep 100% of any compensation awarded to you. We can also offer you an After the Event Legal Insurance Policy which can provide protection against legal costs in the event of a dispute.

If you are at fault for an accident and the PSNI have been involved, you are entitled to seek legal advice in respect of any police interviews or prosecution that may arise. Our expert solicitors will be able to attend the Police Station with you if you have to be interviewed by the Police. If there is a dispute about who is at fault, you may still be able to pursue a claim and obtain reduced compensation.

If the other driver was not insured, you can still pursue a claim against the Uninsured driver through the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB). Similarly, if the other driver was untraced, the MIB may be able to deal with your case. Our solicitors are expert in handling cases involving uninsured or untraced drivers.

Our solicitors have dealt with many road traffic accident claims and we are happy to give you our assessment of your case at no obligation to you and advise you about the claim process. Contact Gus Campbell Solicitors to start your claim.

Important announcement: Cornavirus Covid -19

We wish to reassure our clients that we are open for business. However, as we all work together to reduce the impact of Coronavirus Covid-19, we would ask that non-essential visits to our office are limited and you follow the current advice from the Public Health authority if you think you may have symptoms or have been in contact with someone who has symptoms.

The safety of our staff and clients is very important to us.

We are available to consult by telephone on (028) 3833 4801 or (028) 3833 1834  or e-mail

Follow us on Facebook (Gus Campbell Solicitors) for updates.

Our solicitors have remote working facilities and we will ensure that your case is being looked after.

If there are changes to scheduled Court cases or other meetings, we will let you know as soon as we can.

Protection Against Legal Costs

Legal Expenses Insurance

Gus Campbell Solicitors Portadown are pleased to be able to offer Legal Expenses Insurance to clients to provide financial protection against legal costs. Legal expenses insurance is typically purchased as an add on with home or motor insurance – however it can also be purchased on it’s own. Unlike most insurance products, this insurance policy is purchased “after the event”, that means that you can avail of the benefits of the policy after you have suffered the loss for which you are claiming.

Solicitors in Northern Ireland cannot offer “no win, no fee” arrangements. However, with the cover of the After the Event legal Insurance Policy, if the case is unsuccessful, the policy will safeguard against legal costs and pay out the costs you could be ordered to pay. Ordinarily, if you lose your case the legal costs can be substantial since you are required to pay your own legal costs and the costs of the other party. With the insurance policy, a premium is payable to the Insurer only in the event of a successful case. The Insurance provider does have the right to decline to cover a case if they decide that there is a negligible chance of the claim winning. Our expert solicitors will advise you about your case and will prepare your case to give you the best chance of a successful claim.

Legal Dispute

In the case of a legal dispute, with the protection of a Legal Expenses Insurance Policy, cases can proceed at a much faster pace, without the time and hassle of applying for legal aid or trying to secure funds to finance the case. You will have the peace of mind that you do not need to worry about legal costs.

The Policy is available to cover most types of Personal Injury claims (there are some exclusions) and is available at Gus Campbell Solicitors Portadown. If you have suffered injury then you should contact us for advice. The most common types of claims are road traffic accidents, accidents at work and tripping and slipping accidents.

Free Initial Consultation

At Gus Campbell Solicitors, we are pleased to offer you a free initial consultation by telephone or by appointment to discuss your case and to see if we can help. We will discuss your entitlement to apply for protection against legal costs.

Don’t let the worry of legal costs put you off taking legal action. We are happy to have a no obligation discussion if you think you might be entitled to compensation.

If you would like more information, call in to our office on Carleton Street in Portadown, or give us a call on 028 3833 4801. We have many years of experience in dealing with personal injury claims, and will be more than happy to provide any legal advice you might need. If you have suffered injury as a result of an accident which was not your fault, contact us for your free initial consultation.