Road Traffic Accident

Many people are unsure what to do in the event of a road traffic accident. It is important to try to stay calm and remain at the scene. It is best not to move your vehicle unless it is causing an obstruction to other vehicles or pedestrians. If any party has suffered serious injury or requires assistance to exit the vehicle, then you should call 999 for emergency assistance. You may wish to report the accident to the PSNI and request that they attend the scene.

It is very important to exchange details with other driver(s). You are required by law to provide your details, and the other driver must give you their details – name, address, vehicle and insurance details etc. Ensure that you correctly record the other vehicle’s registration number. Even if this is the only information you have, at Gus Campbell Solicitors we can conduct a search of the vehicle registration number to identify the insurer of the other vehicle.

If there are witnesses, obtain their details. You should also try to take pictures of the scene of the accident – the position of vehicles and any marks or debris on the road. This could be important evidence if the other party denies that they were at fault.

Report The Accident

You should report the accident to your own insurance company as soon as possible, even if the accident was not your fault.

If the other party was to blame, you are entitled to make a claim from their insurers. Gus Campbell Solicitors can deal with any claim for injury or vehicle damage on your behalf.

If you, or any passenger in your vehicle has suffered personal injury, Gus Campbell Solicitors Portadown can deal with the injury claim to ensure that you get the amount compensation you are entitled to. You should go to your doctor or to hospital as soon as possible after an accident in which you have sustained personal injuries.

If you have been unable to work as a result of your injuries, you are entitled to make a claim for loss of earnings. If you have had to pay for medical treatment, you can pursue a claim for your medical expenses.

You are entitled to claim for the cost of repairs to your vehicle, or if the vehicle is beyond repair, the value of your vehicle which should be assessed by an independent motor assessor.

If your car has lost value due to accident damage, you are entitled to make a claim for this.

You may be entitled to claim for the cost of hiring a replacement vehicle while your damaged car is off the road, or compensation for having to do without a vehicle. If you have had property in the vehicle or child car seats, you are entitled to claim for the loss or damage of these.

Gus Campbell Solicitors Advise

Gus Campbell Solicitors Portadown can advise you about all aspects of your claim for personal injury and vehicle damage arising from a traffic accident claim.

You have up to 3 years from the date of an accident to make a claim for personal injury. In the case of a child, 3 years from the child’s 18th birthday. So even if you have had an accident and sustained injury or loss and did not claim at the time, it may not be too late. You should speak to Gus Campbell Solicitors Portadown. We offer a free initial consultation and we have expert solicitors to offer you advice.

If the accident was not your fault, then you should receive compensation together with payment of your legal costs.

If the accident was not your fault, then the insurance company for the party at fault will have to pay compensation to you, together with your legal costs. This means that you will be entitled to keep 100% of any compensation awarded to you. We can also offer you an After the Event Legal Insurance Policy which can provide protection against legal costs in the event of a dispute.

If you are at fault for an accident and the PSNI have been involved, you are entitled to seek legal advice in respect of any police interviews or prosecution that may arise. Our expert solicitors will be able to attend the Police Station with you if you have to be interviewed by the Police. If there is a dispute about who is at fault, you may still be able to pursue a claim and obtain reduced compensation.

If the other driver was not insured, you can still pursue a claim against the Uninsured driver through the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB). Similarly, if the other driver was untraced, the MIB may be able to deal with your case. Our solicitors are expert in handling cases involving uninsured or untraced drivers.

Our solicitors have dealt with many road traffic accident claims and we are happy to give you our assessment of your case at no obligation to you and advise you about the claim process. Contact Gus Campbell Solicitors to start your claim.