Road Traffic Accident

Many people are unsure what to do in the event of a road traffic accident. It is important to try to stay calm and remain at the scene. It is best not to move your vehicle unless it is causing an obstruction to other vehicles or pedestrians. If any party has suffered serious injury or requires assistance to exit the vehicle, then you should call 999 for emergency assistance. You may wish to report the accident to the PSNI and request that they attend the scene.

It is very important to exchange details with other driver(s). You are required by law to provide your details, and the other driver must give you their details – name, address, vehicle and insurance details etc. Ensure that you correctly record the other vehicle’s registration number. Even if this is the only information you have, at Gus Campbell Solicitors we can conduct a search of the vehicle registration number to identify the insurer of the other vehicle.

If there are witnesses, obtain their details. You should also try to take pictures of the scene of the accident – the position of vehicles and any marks or debris on the road. This could be important evidence if the other party denies that they were at fault.

Report The Accident

You should report the accident to your own insurance company as soon as possible, even if the accident was not your fault.

If the other party was to blame, you are entitled to make a claim from their insurers. Gus Campbell Solicitors can deal with any claim for injury or vehicle damage on your behalf.

If you, or any passenger in your vehicle has suffered personal injury, Gus Campbell Solicitors Portadown can deal with the injury claim to ensure that you get the amount compensation you are entitled to. You should go to your doctor or to hospital as soon as possible after an accident in which you have sustained personal injuries.

If you have been unable to work as a result of your injuries, you are entitled to make a claim for loss of earnings. If you have had to pay for medical treatment, you can pursue a claim for your medical expenses.

You are entitled to claim for the cost of repairs to your vehicle, or if the vehicle is beyond repair, the value of your vehicle which should be assessed by an independent motor assessor.

If your car has lost value due to accident damage, you are entitled to make a claim for this.

You may be entitled to claim for the cost of hiring a replacement vehicle while your damaged car is off the road, or compensation for having to do without a vehicle. If you have had property in the vehicle or child car seats, you are entitled to claim for the loss or damage of these.

Gus Campbell Solicitors Advise

Gus Campbell Solicitors Portadown can advise you about all aspects of your claim for personal injury and vehicle damage arising from a traffic accident claim.

You have up to 3 years from the date of an accident to make a claim for personal injury. In the case of a child, 3 years from the child’s 18th birthday. So even if you have had an accident and sustained injury or loss and did not claim at the time, it may not be too late. You should speak to Gus Campbell Solicitors Portadown. We offer a free initial consultation and we have expert solicitors to offer you advice.

If the accident was not your fault, then you should receive compensation together with payment of your legal costs.

If the accident was not your fault, then the insurance company for the party at fault will have to pay compensation to you, together with your legal costs. This means that you will be entitled to keep 100% of any compensation awarded to you. We can also offer you an After the Event Legal Insurance Policy which can provide protection against legal costs in the event of a dispute.

If you are at fault for an accident and the PSNI have been involved, you are entitled to seek legal advice in respect of any police interviews or prosecution that may arise. Our expert solicitors will be able to attend the Police Station with you if you have to be interviewed by the Police. If there is a dispute about who is at fault, you may still be able to pursue a claim and obtain reduced compensation.

If the other driver was not insured, you can still pursue a claim against the Uninsured driver through the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB). Similarly, if the other driver was untraced, the MIB may be able to deal with your case. Our solicitors are expert in handling cases involving uninsured or untraced drivers.

Our solicitors have dealt with many road traffic accident claims and we are happy to give you our assessment of your case at no obligation to you and advise you about the claim process. Contact Gus Campbell Solicitors to start your claim.

Important announcement: Cornavirus Covid -19

We wish to reassure our clients that we are open for business. However, as we all work together to reduce the impact of Coronavirus Covid-19, we would ask that non-essential visits to our office are limited and you follow the current advice from the Public Health authority if you think you may have symptoms or have been in contact with someone who has symptoms.

The safety of our staff and clients is very important to us.

We are available to consult by telephone on (028) 3833 4801 or (028) 3833 1834  or e-mail

Follow us on Facebook (Gus Campbell Solicitors) for updates.

Our solicitors have remote working facilities and we will ensure that your case is being looked after.

If there are changes to scheduled Court cases or other meetings, we will let you know as soon as we can.

Protection Against Legal Costs

Legal Expenses Insurance

Gus Campbell Solicitors Portadown are pleased to be able to offer Legal Expenses Insurance to clients to provide financial protection against legal costs. Legal expenses insurance is typically purchased as an add on with home or motor insurance – however it can also be purchased on it’s own. Unlike most insurance products, this insurance policy is purchased “after the event”, that means that you can avail of the benefits of the policy after you have suffered the loss for which you are claiming.

Solicitors in Northern Ireland cannot offer “no win, no fee” arrangements. However, with the cover of the After the Event legal Insurance Policy, if the case is unsuccessful, the policy will safeguard against legal costs and pay out the costs you could be ordered to pay. Ordinarily, if you lose your case the legal costs can be substantial since you are required to pay your own legal costs and the costs of the other party. With the insurance policy, a premium is payable to the Insurer only in the event of a successful case. The Insurance provider does have the right to decline to cover a case if they decide that there is a negligible chance of the claim winning. Our expert solicitors will advise you about your case and will prepare your case to give you the best chance of a successful claim.

Legal Dispute

In the case of a legal dispute, with the protection of a Legal Expenses Insurance Policy, cases can proceed at a much faster pace, without the time and hassle of applying for legal aid or trying to secure funds to finance the case. You will have the peace of mind that you do not need to worry about legal costs.

The Policy is available to cover most types of Personal Injury claims (there are some exclusions) and is available at Gus Campbell Solicitors Portadown. If you have suffered injury then you should contact us for advice. The most common types of claims are road traffic accidents, accidents at work and tripping and slipping accidents.

Free Initial Consultation

At Gus Campbell Solicitors, we are pleased to offer you a free initial consultation by telephone or by appointment to discuss your case and to see if we can help. We will discuss your entitlement to apply for protection against legal costs.

Don’t let the worry of legal costs put you off taking legal action. We are happy to have a no obligation discussion if you think you might be entitled to compensation.

If you would like more information, call in to our office on Carleton Street in Portadown, or give us a call on 028 3833 4801. We have many years of experience in dealing with personal injury claims, and will be more than happy to provide any legal advice you might need. If you have suffered injury as a result of an accident which was not your fault, contact us for your free initial consultation.